What is trip protection?
Alaska Airlines offers trip protection through an insurance provider, Allianz Global Assistance. Trip protection is a combination of travel insurance benefits and travel assistance services specifically designed to help protect travelers while away from home. Your travel protection covers your financial investment in travel (up to the amount of your policy limits).
Why should I purchase trip protection?
Trip protection insures your prepaid and nonrefundable tickets, accommodations and other travel expenses should an unexpected covered reason cause you to miss your trip. Many travelers who didn't purchase travel insurance have found themselves without recourse and shouldering the expense when the unexpected occurs.
What does trip protection cover?
The insurance component of trip protection provides reimbursement for nonrefundable financial expenses associated with certain canceled or interrupted trips. Additional benefits can provide reimbursement for unexpected travel expenses or medical and dental costs incurred on your trip as the result of an unexpected illness or injury.
What are the covered benefits of trip protection?
Insurance protection and services vary according to the covered plan purchased for your trip. A complete description of the benefits, exclusions, conditions and limitations will be emailed to you upon completion of the purchase process with Alaska Airlines. Be sure to contact Allianz Global Assistance if you do not receive the Certificate of Insurance/Policy that contains this vital information. Terms and conditions may vary according to your state of residence. For questions regarding coverage, please contact Allianz Global Assistance.
Examples of benefits include:
- Trip Cancellation: Provides reimbursement of covered prepaid, nonrefundable trip payments or deposits if your trip is canceled prior to departure for a covered reason.
- Trip Interruption: Provides reimbursement for covered prepaid, nonrefundable expenses resulting from a trip interruption that occurs after departure for a covered reason. Covered reasons may include and are not limited to:
- Serious and unforeseen illness, injury or death of you, a covered family member or traveling companions.
- Natural disasters or bad weather that result in the complete cessation of services by an airline, tour operator or cruise line for at least 24 consecutive hours.
- Employer termination if you have been with the same employer for at least three continuous years, and are terminated through no fault of your own after the effective date of this insurance.
- Fire, flood, burglary, vandalism or natural disasters making your home uninhabitable.
- Emergency Medical Transportation: Arranges to medically transport a patient to an appropriate medical facility or to return home to receive care.
- Emergency Medical & Dental: Pays for the cost of treatment associated with a medical or dental emergency incurred while traveling.
- Travel Delay: Provides reimbursement for meals and accommodations when a trip is unexpectedly delayed due to a covered reason.
- Baggage Delay: Provides reimbursement for essential items if your luggage is delayed for 24 hours or more.
- Baggage Coverage: Provides reimbursement if your luggage is lost, damaged or stolen while you are traveling.
- 24-Hour Hotline Help: Help is just a phone call away with Allianz Travel Insurance. A staff of multilingual problem solvers is available to help you gain access to local resources and information you need to solve a medical, legal or travel-related emergency.
- Existing Medical Conditions: Some Allianz Travel Insurance plans may include coverage for existing medical conditions. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of the policy.
What will the 24-hour hotline service do for me?
Allianz Global Assistance offers a 24-hour hotline staffed with multilingual specialists, trained to help travelers with emergency medical, legal or travel help. And should a medical emergency arise, we will coordinate medical assistance and emergency transportation.
What if I change my mind and do not want trip protection?
Allianz Global Assistance will refund your insurance premium if you cancel your insurance within 10 days of purchase and have not filed a claim or departed on your trip.
Are there events or medical conditions that are not covered?
Every insurance plan contains restrictions and limitations. Some Allianz Travel Insurance plans include coverage for existing medical conditions. This information can be found in the terms and conditions of the policy.
Who provides the insurance for these plans?
Allianz Travel Insurance plans are underwritten by BCS Insurance Company, (OH, Administrative Office: Oakwood Terrace, IL) rated "A-" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., under BCS Form No. 52.201 series or 52.401 series, or Jefferson Insurance Company (NY, Administrative Office: Richmond, VA), rated "A" (Excellent) by A.M. Best Co., under Jefferson Form No. 101-C series or 101-P series, depending on the insured's state. Allianz Global Assistance and Allianz Travel Insurance are brands of AGA Service Company. AGA Service Company is the licensed producer and administrator of this plan and an affiliate of Jefferson Insurance Company. The insured shall not receive any special benefit or advantage because of the affiliation between AGA Service Company and Jefferson Insurance Company.
Where do I go if I have questions about trip protection?
You can find information about Allianz Global Assistance products and services on www.etravelprotection.com/alaska.
Why isn't my trip protection purchase displayed in my Alaska Airlines itinerary?
Trip protection is purchased directly through Allianz Global Assistance, Alaska Airlines preferred provider. All policy documentation will be sent directly to you from Allianz Global Assistance.
Is my trip protection canceled automatically if I cancel my travel arrangements with Alaska Airlines?
No. Please contact Allianz Global Assistance as soon as possible after canceling your travel arrangements to make any changes and/or cancellations to your trip protection. You can cancel your policy or modify your policy online by visiting the Allianz Global Assistance Web site. For a full refund of your premium, you must cancel within 10 days of purchase and have not filed a claim or departed on your trip.
When is the best time to purchase trip protection in order to be covered?
Right away! Trip protection is available during the airline ticket purchase process. You can also purchase trip protection up until the day before you depart. We recommend you purchase as early as possible to receive the maximum benefits if you have to cancel your travel arrangements for a covered reason. For existing medical conditions, (coverage may not be available in all plans), make sure you purchase trip protection within 14 days of your initial trip purchase.