Infants and Children
Emergency Exit Row Seating
Traveling with Pets
Emergency Exit Row Seating
Advanced Seat Assignments
Emergency exit row seating may be reserved in advance, based on availability, by the following passengers, provided they meet FAA qualifications:
- Elite Level Mileage Plan™ members
- Customers purchasing Refundable Coach Fares or Refundable Coach Mileage Plan™ Awards
For all other customers who meet the FAA qualifications, exit row seating may be available at the airport on the day of your departure. Check in via the web or kiosk as normal. Then consult exit row availability with any Customer Service Agent at your departure airport.
FAA Required Emergency Exit Row Qualifications
When you are seated in an exit row, you may be called upon to open the exit and assist fellow passengers in exiting the aircraft if a crew member is unavailable to do so.
Because of this, and for the benefit of all passengers, Federal Law requires that passengers seated in the exit row MAY NOT fall into any of the following categories
- You lack sufficient mobility, strength or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs to:
- reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and exit slide operating mechanisms;
- grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms;
- push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits;
- lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row, objects the size and weight of over-wing exit doors;
- remove obstructions similar to size and weight of over-wing exit doors, all while maintaining balance;
- exit expeditiously, stabilize the escape slide after deployment, and assist those getting off the slide.
- You lack the ability to read and understand instructions related to emergency evacuation provided by Alaska Airlines in printed or graphic form or the ability to understand oral crewmember commands.
- You lack sufficient visual capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions without the assistance of visual aids beyond contact lenses or eyeglasses.
- You lack sufficient aural capacity to hear and understand instructions shouted by flight attendants, without assistance beyond a hearing aid.
- You lack the ability to adequately impart information orally to other passengers.
- You have a nondiscernible condition that might prevent you from performing these functions or a condition that might cause you to suffer bodily harm while performing these functions.
- You do not wish to perform these instructions.
- You are less than 15 years of age or lack the capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions without the assistance of an adult parent, adult relative, or adult companion.
- You have a responsibility, such as a child under 15 years old, unless a second parent is seated elsewhere with the child.
Other Emergency Exit Row Qualifications
In addition to the FAA requirements, customers traveling with a pet in the cabin, and those requiring a seatbelt extension may not be seated in an emergency exit row.
Note: Only seat belt extensions provided by Alaska Airlines may be used onboard the aircraft. Seat belt extension use is not allowed in exit rows for the safety of all passengers due to the possibility of entanglement by the extensions.