Sitka is one of Alaska's most historic cities, and the strong Russian influence of its past is still apparent today. In 1804, Local Tlingit natives battled Russian forces along the city's shores in a 6-day siege and eventually lost control of the area. Then, in 1867, the Russians finalized the deal to sell Alaska to the United States here. Today, Sitka's Russian Bishop's House is one of the few remaining examples of Russian colonial architecture in North America. The city is on the west side of Baranof Island overlooking the Sitka Sound, and is home to attractions like Sitka National Historical Park and the Alaska Raptor Center.