Alaska Airlines company facts
Updated June 2016
Alaska Airlines is the seventh-largest U.S. airline based on passenger traffic and is one of the most popular U.S. West Coast air carriers. Headquartered in Seattle, Alaska carries more passengers between the state of Alaska and the Lower 48 than any other airline. The airline has expanded significantly to serve several U.S. East Coast and Southern cities including Nashville, Charleston and Raleigh/Durham and began flying to Costa Rica last year.
Long known for its Alaskan roots, symbolized by the Eskimo painted on the tail of the aircraft, Alaska Airlines offers a friendly and relaxed style of service, one that passengers have come to appreciate as the "Alaska Spirit." The airline also is known for embracing innovative technology to improve the customer experience.
The carrier traces its roots back to 1932, when Linious "Mac" McGee of McGee Airways started flying his three-seat Stinson between Anchorage and Bristol Bay, Alaska. A merger with Star Air Service in 1934 created the largest airline in Alaska, which eventually became Alaska Airlines.
Alaska and its sister carrier, Horizon Air, are owned by Alaska Air Group.
- Type of airline: Major, low-fare U.S. carrier
- Relative size of airline: Seventh-largest U.S. carrier
- Founded: 1932, in Anchorage, Alaska
- Headquarters: Seattle
- Corporation type: Alaska corporation
- Ownership: Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK)
- President, Chairman and CEO: Brad D. Tilden
- Hubs: Seattle (main hub); Anchorage, Alaska; Portland, Ore.
- Number of Alaska Airlines employees: 11,536
- Total destinations: 104
- Average daily flights 2014: 880
- Total departures 2014: 303,316
- Total passengers enplaned 2014: 28.4 million (AAG)
- Average stage (route) length 2014: 802 miles (AAG)
- Total available seat miles (ASMs) 2014: 35.2 billion (AAG)
- Total revenue passenger miles (RPMs) 2014: 29.9 billion (AAG)
- Passenger load factor 2014: 85.2% (AAG)
Note: Monthly passenger traffic and quarterly financial information can be found in Archived News Releases.