Service/Emotional Support Animals
Service and Emotional Support Animals
Service animals and emotional support animals are welcome on Alaska Airlines. To ensure that both you and your service/emotional support animal travel easily and comfortably, please review the following information.
If travel includes destinations outside the United States, it is important to note that some countries have restrictions on animals transiting through or destined for their country. A Reservations Agent will be glad to check a specific itinerary for any restrictions that may apply.
- Please inform the Customer Service Agent upon arrival at the airport that you'll be traveling with a service animal so that we may account for all animals onboard the flight.
- There is no additional charge to travel with a working service animal.
- Travelers accompanied by a service animal may ship their animal's kennel as a checked bag free of charge.
- Properly harnessed service animals may sit at the traveler's feet, unless the service animal is too large and obstructs an aisle or other area used for emergency evacuations.
- We will make every attempt to seat a customer traveling with a service animal in a row with the most legroom.
- Window seating is also recommended so the service animal is safe from foot traffic.
- A harness, tag or vest indicating status as a service animal will be helpful in distinguishing them to airport personnel. However, credible verbal assurance that the animal is providing a service to assist with a disability will suffice, should an inquiry be made.
- View a list of airport Animal Relief Areas.
A service animal must occupy the traveler's space and can not occupy a seat or obstruct aisles or areas that must remain clear for emergency evacuation. If the service animal does not fit the area available, the Customer Service Agent will:
- Find an alternate flight with more room for the traveler and the service animal; or,
- If the service animal is not needed during the flight, we will transport the service animal in an owner provided crate in the climate-controlled cargo area of the aircraft. The animal will be immediately returned to the traveler upon deplaning. There is no additional charge for service animals that travel in the cargo area of the aircraft.
Alaska Airlines will accept service animals in training provided ALL of the following conditions are met:
- The service animal is being transported by a trainer to the new owner/handler's home.
- The trainer can identify the new owner's/handler's name and home city.
- The trainer can provide documentation on official letterhead noting the service animal has successfully completed training.
Emotional/Psychiatric Support Animals
A qualified individual with a disability may travel with an emotional/psychiatric support animal in the cabin if certain documentation requirements are met.
Prior to boarding, the customer must present to an Alaska Airlines Customer Service Agent current documentation — not more than one year old, on letterhead from a mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the customer's mental health-related disability stating:
- The customer has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
- The customer needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the customer's destination
- The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the customer is under his or her professional care AND
- The date and type of the mental health professional's or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
All of the above specific criteria must be provided to accept your emotional/psychiatric support animal for travel in the passenger cabin. Advance notice is strongly recommended to ensure all paperwork is in order. Customers traveling with a service animal or an emotional/psychiatric support animal are not permitted to sit in an emergency exit row.