How do I fly standby on Alaska Airlines?
On the same day your flight is booked to depart, you may be able to fly standby on an alternate flight, depending on your destination and the tickets you purchased - see the eligibility section below for full details.
Follow these steps to fly standby on Alaska Airlines:
- Same day standby may be requested during check-in. While you’re checking in for your flight using our online check-in "This indicates a link to an external site that may not meet accessibility guidelines." or one of our airport kiosks, choose “Change flight” to request standby.
- Same day standby can also be requested at the airport. If you’re at the airport and decide to fly standby, see one of our customer service agents to get your name added to the standby list.
- Head to the gate for your chosen standby flight as early as possible. Keep in mind that seat availability for same day standby travel will not be known until thirty minutes before the flight departs. During that time, be sure to stay in the boarding area, wait for your name to be called, and respond right away when the gate agent calls your name.
Am I eligible to fly standby?
You are eligible for same day standby for an alternate flight if your reservation falls into one of these three categories.
- You are traveling on a nonstop flight between our shuttle markets, which include:
- Anchorage and Fairbanks
- Seattle and Portland
- Seattle and Spokane
- San Jose and San Diego
- San Jose and Orange County
Note: If you have a connection itinerary that includes shuttle market flights, you may fly standby on the shuttle market flight segments only. See an airport customer service agent for help with this.
- You have a refundable Main Cabin ticket (Y, Z classes of service), or a First Class ticket (A, D, F classes of service) that is eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.
- You are an MVP® Gold Mileage Plan member (or traveling in the same reservation as one) and are eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.