Traveling with infants and children

We know that traveling with kids can be an adventure. To help keep the adventure fun for both you and your child passenger, please carefully review our policies and recommendations for traveling with infants and children.

Minors traveling internationally are required to have the same passport and visa documentation as adults. If your child is traveling alone, a guardian must complete all international customs forms at check-in.

Minors (under age 18) traveling internationally without one or both parents may be required to present a letter of consent signed by any/all non-traveling parents. Please visit the U.S. Department of State website at for country-specific information.

Mexico travel

It is strongly recommended for minors (under age 18) traveling without a parent or legal guardian to carry a letter of consent that is signed by the non-traveling parent(s).

It is required for minors (under age 18) who are traveling without a parent or legal guardian to carry a letter of consent if the minor traveler is a citizen of Mexico, permanent resident of Mexico, or temporary resident of Mexico (e.g. on a student visa).
For these passengers, the following must be presented when departing from Mexico:

  • 3 copies of the letter of consent or SAM document
  • The minor's original birth certificate
  • 2 copies of the minor’s birth certificate

Mexico letter of consent requirements

A Letter of Consent must be provided by all non-traveling parents/legal guardians. Proof of sole custody or emancipation may be required if consent of both parents/guardians is not provided.

Letter of consent must be notarized in Mexico, or notarized and bear either an Apostille or legal certification from the country of issue.

Letter of consent must be in Spanish or include Spanish translation.

The letter of consent must include the following information: Mexico Minor Travel Letter of Consent

  • Name, gender, date and country of birth of minor traveler
  • Passport information (number, date of issue, and location of issue) for the minor traveler.
  • Names of all custodial parents/guardians
  • Approximate dates of travel
  • Travel origin/destination limitations (if applicable)
  • Name and passport information of person(s) traveling with minor traveler (if applicable)

Download our recommended Letter of Consent

Mexico letter of consent Q & A

What is an Apostille or legal certification and where do I get one?
In order for a document to be considered legal by the Mexican Government, it must either be notarized in Mexico, or it must bear an accredited legal certification from its country of origin. Countries included in the Apostille Convention (e.g. United States) may use an apostille certification to legalize their documents.

Countries not included in the Apostille Convention (e.g. Canada) must be certified by the foreign ministries of both the issuing and receiving country. These certifications are often performed at an embassy or consulate.

What will happen if the letter of consent is not provided?
The letter of consent is a legal requirement developed by the Mexican customs authorities. When required, the letter should be presented to customs officials along with other pertinent travel documentation. Passengers who are required to have the letter, but do not, will not be approved for travel by Mexican customs officials and will need to revise their travel plans.

What will happen if the letter of consent is lost or misplaced?
The letter of consent presented for travel must be an original, notarized document. Copies are not permitted when exiting airports in Mexico. If you should lose or misplace your letter, and have travel that requires the document, visit your local Mexican Embassy or Consulate to coordinate the replacement of the letter. The parents or guardians of the minor who is traveling will need to complete a new Letter in their home country and have it sent to Mexico to faciliate such travel.

What if one of the parents/guardians is unreachable?
If you are in need of a letter of consent and one of the parents of a minor exiting Mexico is unreachable, please contact your attorney or local Mexican Embassy or Consulate for further advice.

Who should I talk to if I have more questions?
The United States Department of State website includes information regarding this requirement. You may also contact your local Mexican Embassy or Consulate for more information.