PetStreak™ Animal Express
Fur-st Class™ Care for Your Precious Pet
Alaska Air Cargo's PetStreak™ Animal Express provides Fur-st Class™ Care when transporting your live animals such as dogs, cats, birds and other animals (subject to approval). We are committed to the proper care of your animals while in transit because we understand he's not just a pet; he's your little buddy. The dedicated staff at Alaska Air Cargo truly cares about your animal's well-being and provides a safe and relaxing journey from start to finish. Our Fur-st Class™ pet travel program offers options for transporting your pet safely while providing helpful tips and information to prepare your pet for take-off. We are proud to partner with Banfield™ Pet Hospital to provide pets and their owners with a special discount offer
PetStreak™ Animal Express shipments are loaded into a pressurized, temperature controlled compartment of the aircraft. Adequate air circulation is provided. Rest assured, your little buddy will be in expert and caring hands during his trip on Alaska Airlines.
Are you planning to travel on the same itinerary with your pet? Animals traveling with a passenger are subject to different regulations.
PetStreak™ animal reservations are accepted in advance at a minimum 24 hours, maximum 20 days for online travel and 7 days for interline domestic or international travel. Bookings are accepted Daily: 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (PST)
We've prepared the following guidelines to ensure your pet is prepared for safe travel on Alaska Airlines. Please take a moment to carefully review the information shown below.
What you Need to Know
PetStreak™ Shipping Guidelines
When you're ready to book a reservation for your pet, we will need the following details:
- Shipper and consignee name, address and phone contact.
- Length, width and height dimensions of the kennel.
- Reservations are required and we recommend booking 24 hours in advance. Shipments involving transfers to another airline must be booked at least three business days in advance but no more than seven days before travel.
- Pets must be accepted and all paperwork processed at least two hours before scheduled departure.
- For all Hawaii departures, all live animals must be accepted and all paperwork processed at least two and a half hours before scheduled departure.
- Pets are not accepted more than four hours prior to scheduled departure.
- Your pet will be available for pick up within one hour of flight arrival and must be picked up within four hours or kenneling charges may apply.
- PetStreak animals are not accepted to or from Mexico.
- PetStreak Animal Express shipments are transported Airport to Airport service only (Courier pickup/delivery service is not available). Other cities may prohibit live animal shipment during extreme weather seasons. Please refer to our Cargo Location Information for details regarding your specific origin or destination.
- Alaska Airlines will accept Animal Express shipments on a collect basis when the shipper guarantees all charges. Interline shipments of live animals must be prepaid by the shipper.
- Combined animal and kennel weight limited to 149 pounds on Horizon-operated flights and 100 pounds on SkyWest-operated flights. Other restrictions may apply depending on aircraft type.
Maximum Container Dimensions per operating carrier:
- Alaska Airlines: Not exceed 53 inches in length x 48 inches wide x 34 inches high.
- Horizon Air: Not exceed 40 inches in length x 27 inches wide x 30 inches high.
- SkyWest Airlines: Not to exceed 36 inches in length x 24 inches wide x 26 inches high.
- Animals will not be accepted in an agitated or hostile condition.
- Muzzles or restraints impairing respiration or injuring the animal will not be accepted.
- The shipper must provide written instructions concerning the handling, feeding and watering requirements for the animal(s) in the shipment. See Labeling and Preparation of Animal Containers section for more information.
- Shipping containers must be clean and must not have an offensive odor.
- The animal container must be non-collapsible, approved for airline travel and is subject to inspection by airline personnel. See Container Regulations & Requirements section for more details.
PetStreak™ Animal Guidelines
- Dogs and cats must be at least eight weeks of age and weaned.
- The shipper shall provide applicable health declarations and permits required by authorities of countries of export, transit and import.
- Animals traveling as cargo must have a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian. See "Health Certificate Requirements" for more information. PetStreak customers can receive a discount on health certificates with Banfield Pet Hospitals.
- Food and water must be offered within four hours of flight departure.
- No more than two puppies or kittens, eight weeks to six months of age, that are of comparable size, and weighing 20 pounds or less each, may be transported in the same kennel. See Live Animals in the Same Container section for more details.
Live Animals in the Same Container
The following conditions apply to live animals accepted in the same container:
- Animals must be the same species.
- Animals must be compatible.
- Infant animals will only be accepted with their mother. (Exceptions include birds, fish, rats, mice and domestic farm animals.)
- A female animal in season will not be accepted in the same container as a male animal.
The number of dogs or cats in a container shall not exceed the following limits:
- One dog or cat six months or more of age.
- One puppy, eight weeks to six months of age and weighing more than 20 pounds.
- Two puppies or kittens, eight weeks to six months of age, but not weighing more than 20 pounds each and of comparable size.
- Puppies or kittens less than eight weeks old and littermates accompanied by their mother may be shipped in the same container when the destination is a laboratory or research facility.
Special considerations and exceptions apply to some animals. Please contact the Alaska Air Cargo Service Center for more information at 1-800-225-2752.
Container Regulations & Requirements
Please note that the non-collapsible kennel must:
Containers must allow sufficient space for the animal to:
- Be held together with metal or plastic nuts and bolts. The kennel must not be held together with snap closures nor have parts replaced by zip-ties, duct tape, or rubber bands.
- Be of solid construction, escape-proof with securely fastening doors and able to withstand the rigors of normal transportation.
- Contain a food and water dish clipped inside of the door.
- Be clean and leak-proof, with absorbent bedding made of material that is safe and non-toxic to the animal. Non-bedding items are not allowed, with the exception of one small comfort item.
- Container must be constructed to hold the animal being shipped with no part of the animal protruding and should withstand the normal rigors of transportation. The kennel must not have a wire roof and/or top opening door.
- Containers must be constructed to retain moisture characteristic with live animal shipments.
- The interior of the container should be free of sharp edges or points, and have no protrusions that could injure the animal(s).
- Access into each container must be secured to prevent accidental opening, but should be easily accessible for emergency removal of animal(s). Customers may provide releasable zip-ties to secure the door.
- A means of administering food or water without opening the container is required. Containers for dogs and cats must have a food and water dish attached to the inside of the metal, grated door.
- Handholds or handles must be provided on the exterior of the kennel for lifting without being tilted and to ensure that anyone handling the kennel will not come in physical contact with the animal.
Container dimensions per operating carrier:
- Turn about freely in a standing position using normal body movements.
- Stand and sit erect.
- Lie down in a natural and comfortable position.
- Homemade containers are subject to inspection and regulatory compliance.
- Alaska Airlines: Not to exceed 53 inches in length x 48 inches wide x 34 inches high.
- Horizon Air: Not to exceed 40 inches in length x 27 inches wide x 30 inches high.
- SkyWest Airlines: Not to exceed 36 inches in length x 24 inches wide x 26 inches high.
- Minimum size accepted is a size 100 kennel: Approximately 21 inches in length x 16 inches wide x 15 inches high.
Containers are available for purchase for PetStreak™ Animal Express shipments traveling on Alaska Airlines. For additional information regarding containers, please contact our Cargo Service Center at 1-800-225-2752.
Labeling & Preparation of Animal Containers
Live animal containers shall have the following information clearly affixed on top and on one or more sides:
- The words "Live Animals" in letters at least one-inch high.
- Marked with arrows to indicate the upright position.
The shipper must sign a certification at time of tender with the following:
- The time and date showing the animal was given food and water during the four hours prior to delivery.
- Name, address and 24-hour emergency telephone number for the shipper and consignee, as well as the name of the animal, when applicable.
- Shipper's written instructions shall also include name, address and telephone number of the party to be contacted if the shipment cannot be delivered to the consignee.
- The certification with the information must be attached to the kennel for transport.
A small amount of food and/or medicine, containing no more than is required for the duration of the journey, may be attached to the kennel in a clear, sealed container and must be able to withstand normal handling in transit. If feeding an animal is necessary while in the custody of the carrier, the shipper shall provide written instructions. Charges for feeding and watering may apply.
If the animal has been medicated or sedated, affix instructions or warnings regarding medications, including:
- Type of medication, method of administration and time administered
- Statement that health certification, where required, has been provided
- Per IATA regulations, sedation of animals, except under certain conditions and carried out under veterinary direction, is not recommended.
Health Certificate Requirements
Alaska Airlines is proud to partner with Banfield™ Pet Hospital to provide pets and their owners with a special discount offer to prepare pets for take-off.
Animals traveling interstate as cargo must have a certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian, certifying that the animal(s):
- Was inspected no more than 10 days prior to travel.
- Appears healthy for travel and free of infectious, contagious and/or communicable disease.
- Animals not moving across state lines do not require a health certificate.
- A rabies vaccination certificate is required for transport between states in the Lower 48 and to/from and within the state of Alaska.
- Dogs or cats less than three months old do not require a rabies certificate.
- A combined health / rabies certificate is acceptable.
Proof of parvovirus vaccination is required for animals traveling to the cities of Nome or Kotzebue. Contact the Alaska Air Cargo Service Center for more information.
Thank you for choosing the PetStreak™ Animal Express service on Alaska Air Cargo where we provide Fur-st Class™ Care for your pet.
We comply with U.S. Department of Agriculture and International Air Transport Association regulations for the humane treatment and transportation of animals. All animals are transported in a pressurized and temperature controlled aircraft compartment.
PetStreak™ Animal Express Regulations are subject to change without notice.
PetStreak™ and Fur-st Class™ are registered trademarks of Alaska Airlines, Inc.